For the new dog and/or the new owner teaching the basics of well-mannered dogs. This is a seven-week class with hands-on training sessions with the dog. This class uses positive lure/reward training, as do all our classes. Not all dogs are ready to graduate after just 7 weeks. Most dogs should take this course 2 times. Each dog is an individual and learns at their own rate
Not all dogs are ready to graduate from Basic 1 to Basic 2 after just 7 weeks. Most dogs should take this course 2 times. Each dog is an individual and learns at their own rate.
This 7-week class is for dogs that are at least 1 year old. The class will provide the owners with the skills needed to train their dog to:
- Walk on loose lead
- Sit, Down, and stand
- Stay in place when given a Sit, Down or Stand
- Meet strangers and be petted.
- Move away from an object when given a “leave it” command.
- The dog must be able to sit, stand and down on command.
There will be homework assignments for the handler and dog to help develop their training skills. When you finish this course the handler/dog team should be able to perform the following tasks.
Handouts: Come-Sit-Down-Stay Walking on Leash
This is a 7-week course that is for dogs and handlers that have successfully completed Basic 1.
Dogs in this class may be required to be crated for a brief period while other dogs are training.
The goals of this class are such that:
- The dog should be able to walk on a loose lead for 30 feet without pulling.
- A stranger should be able to come up to the owner without the dog jumping on the stranger.
- The handler/dog should be able to perform a 1-minute sit stay using a 6-foot lead.
- The dog should be able to stay in place as the handler moves 20 feet away.
- The dog should be able to stay in place as the handler moves 10 feet away and then comes on command.
- The dog and handler should be able to pass all requirements necessary to earn the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) title.
- (CGC testing will be available during class on the last week of the session.)
Not all dogs are ready to graduate after just 7 weeks. Most dogs should take this course 2 times. Each dog is an individual and learns at their own rate.
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO ATTEND?
2 sets of the DHLPP vaccine ("puppy vaccine") prior to starting class. Rabies vaccination is required at 6 months. A titer is sufficient for vaccination status.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
1. Small, soft food treats as rewards.
2. All vaccination records (listed above). Without these, you will not be allowed in the class.
3. Collar - please no pinch, prong, choke, or shock collars.
4. Leash - 4 foot nylon or leather. Please NO retractable (Flexi) leashes.
5. Completed registration form along with the class fee - we accept CASH or CHECKS only.
6. It helps to have pants with pockets or bring something that attaches to your waist to hold your dog’s treats.
7. YOU MUST have closed-toe comfortable shoes.