CGC - Canine Good Citizen
After you finish you Basic or Star Puppy class your dog will be ready to move to the next level of obedience training. Our CGC Class is based on the American Kennel Club’s Canine Good Citizen Program.
You will learn all about making your dog a well behaved dog in everyday situations. This class will focus on the 10 test items that make up the CGC test. Each of the test items represent everyday encounters that you might encounter while out walking your dog or at a vet’s office.
Your dog will learn to have better leash walking skills, more reliable stays, as well as learn to interact with people and other dogs in a way that is easily managed.
To learn more about the AKC and the CGC program as well as the 10 test items, we encourage you to visit their website here: http://www.akc.org/dog-owners/training/canine-good-citizen/about/
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO ATTEND?
2 sets of the DHLPP vaccine ("puppy vaccine") prior to starting class. Rabies vaccination is required at 6 months. A titer is sufficient for vaccination status.
**Prerequisite: Completion of the STAR Puppy or Basic Obedience class is required. Taking the prerequisite class does not necessarily mean your dog is ready to automatically advance to the next level of training.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
1. Small, soft food treats as rewards. A variety is highly recommended.
2. All vaccination records (Proof of 2 sets of the DHLPP vaccine) Without these, you will not be allowed in the class.
3. Collar - please no prong, choke, or shock collars.
4. Leash - 4 foot nylon or leather. Please NO retractable (Flexi) leashes.
5. Completed registration form along with the class fee - we accept CASH or CHECKS only.
6. On the first night of class, please plan to arrive 10 minutes early for registration.
7. It helps to have pants with pockets or bring something that attaches to your waist to hold your dog’s treats.
8. YOU MUST have closed-toe comfortable shoes.