Do you have a puppy 4 months to a year old? Are you are looking for a fun class that is all about puppies? Then S.T.A.R. Puppy is for you. This class helps you prepare your pup for life in a human world. The two of you will learn how to use positive training methods to teach basic commands such as sit, down, stay as well learning to come when called and the beginnings of leash walking. You will also get to work with a CGC evaluator who can answer all your puppy raising questions about housebreaking, jumping up, chewing and any other common puppy behaviors you would like to address.
S.T.A.R. Puppy is based on the American Kennel Clubs S.T.A.R. Puppy program. This program is designed to teach the pup and owner all about the four points of the star:
• Socialization –teaches you both how to meet people and dogs in everyday life
• Training- learn the basics of dog training and have your dog enjoy learning
• Activity- teaches owners about the exercise needs of your pup as each pup or breed is different
• Responsibility- owners will learn all about what their role is in the relationship and how to prepare their pup to be a Canine Good Citizen.
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO ATTEND?
2 sets of the DHLPP vaccine ("puppy vaccine") prior to starting class. Rabies vaccination is required at 6 months. A titer is sufficient for vaccination status.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
1. Small, soft food treats as rewards.
2. All vaccination records (Proof of 2 sets of the DHLPP vaccine) Without these, you will not be allowed in the class.
3. Collar - please no prong, choke, or shock collars.
4. Leash - 4 foot nylon or leather. Please NO retractable (Flexi) leashes.
5.Completed registration form along with the class fee - we accept CASH or CHECKS only.
6. On the first night of class, please plan to arrive 10 minutes early for registration.
7. It helps to have pants with pockets or bring something that attaches to your waist to hold your dog’s treats.
8. YOU MUST have closed-toe comfortable shoes.