AKC Tricks Class
This class is focused on a way to make training fun while teaching your dog tricks and to introduce the basics of clicker training. Tricks are a way for your dog to engage people during Therapy Dog visits, Canine Ambassador Presentations, or just for family fun. This is a wonderful opportunity to hone your timing in training before advancing to the next level of classes.
There will be an opportunity to perform during the last class of this session and even earn an AKC trick title.
DOGS: Completion of a basic obedience class is required. The dog must have a good recall and basic obedience skills (sit, stay, down, etc). Socialized dogs are a must, any dog considered aggressive towards either instructors or other dogs will be excused.
HANDLERS: Must have an open mind and be willing to work with your dog. There are several different training tools available and different instructors may train with different methods. It is the Handler's choice to decide what works best for their team after learning and practicing different skills. Effective training involves a lot of repetition, and working / training your dog outside of class will be important to progress through the classes.
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO ATTEND?
2 sets of the DHLPP vaccine ("puppy vaccine") prior to starting class. Rabies vaccination is required at 6 months. A titer is sufficient for vaccination status.
**Prerequisite: Completion of the STAR Puppy or Basic Obedience class is required. Taking the prerequisite class does not necessarily mean your dog is ready to automatically advance to the next level of training.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
1. A clicker and small, soft food treats as rewards.
2. All vaccination records (Proof of 2 sets of the DHLPP vaccine) Without these, you will not be allowed in the class.
3. Collar - please no prong, choke, or shock collars.
4. Leash - 4 foot nylon or leather. Please NO retractable (Flexi) leashes.
5. Completed registration form along with the class fee - we accept CASH, CHECKS, and CREDIT CARDS (additional $5 service charge when using credit cards.)
6. On the first night of class, please plan to arrive 10 minutes early for registration.
7. It helps to have pants with pockets or bring something that attaches to your waist to hold your dog’s treats.
8. YOU MUST have closed-toe comfortable shoes.